[Shop-talk] HVLP Paint Guns

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net> s=q20121106; t=1357077226; bh=shDBh2s/LY/IV7SvMefgoCt6VTIg7beBUwuMMu2HMjI=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=DnyErAde5fz7Tf2/j1PQ2dhXDBtH+T4eM9jS2vyTiRD4J2ydzSk5tzcGg7bA3kiNa 2wnG51Fe11DhW8/JnLjKTggTSrtAadNisd46iXs/+JJEztKzpuhCRcnyqvEMQNdpWQ A+4ABBwTQzZa9w6hsPDUMicCn0MxVWwjd/zEypGEURQrgMM59p9L3N3CTh8Ue9Yrsx ENByN0lcLVaaCuR+pPf5gtCWbx9wvbSAJ61b6vJO8kV9J9f5fxhjE+DLxW10Vlrux1 Hfxwwy6KOaT6CgTRO54oGEFdGuc//JGGnOhLEaOpUBgxtH3iOM3AF39ohfWA4+1X88 bn6zpi5T4NtQw==
Subject: [Shop-talk] HVLP Paint Guns
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 13:53:43 -0800
Any auto paint experts out there?  I've been researching, practicing, etc. for
a while and would appreciate any tips.
We've been painting with a Harbor Freight HVLP; their 'best' model (quality is
relative, I know).

My question: Is it worth investing in a top quality gun and, if so, which brand
(DeVilbiss, Iwata, etc.).  I know
preparation, mixture, technique, etc. is more important than anything, but
assuming I've learned a little in 40-50 hours
of painting will a better gun help? In particular, I watch the 'pros' paint on
various car shows and it seems like they
always get a much wider spray pattern than I can get with the HF gun at any
pressure or nozzle setting.  Also, the pros
seem to move more quickly than I usually do--if I just 'mist' the paint on I
get a grainy finish.  Is this due to the
gun, or something else?

We're backyard painters, so we know we'll never get booth quality, but, is a
better gun worth an extra $300 or so?  We
have several projects to paint so I could justify the cost, given we're saving
thousands and will get reasonable quality
(albeit with a lot of extra sanding).

We're shooting PPG Omni, single stage only.

TIA,
Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net