Re: [Shop-talk] Electric fireplace / TV Stand

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electric fireplace / TV Stand
From: "John P. New" <jnew@hazelden.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 14:56:56 -0500
Eric,

I bought one similar to this for my mother a couple of years ago. It's
functional (her TV sits on top of it) and, depending on what you enjoy, the
flame effect can add a bit of "emotional warmth" to a room (I prefer wood
fireplaces, so it doesn't do much for me, but my mother seems to enjoy it).

My mother's has a built-in fan and it does put out a lot of heat, but of
course this varies by model/manufacturer and the room in which the unit sits
is fairly small. Hers is 110V.

The only thing I can say is that the controls are less than desirable: the
remote control is annoying because it only turns the heating and light
elements on or off; the fan speed and heat intensity controls are on the unit
itself behind a front panel next to the floor, which is very inconvenient for
anyone except children. It's like having a TV remote that changes channels but
not volume.

Like any heating appliance, it can be dangerous for small children to be too
close, but since mine are older, I can't recall if my mother's unit is
particularly hazardous or not.

John New