Re: [Shop-talk] This is why I don't work in IT, was: Re: Entirely n

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] This is why I don't work in IT, was: Re: Entirely not shop related, but...
From: Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 17:13:31 -0500
To tell the truth, I'm more perturbed at Microsoft than I am at the Best
Buy guy. A lot of that is because I share the same opinion of Best Buy
employees that most people do--I fully expect if I held up a CD of
Ke$ha's greatest hits and asked the drone if that would install an OS on
my laptop that he'd have said yes to that, too. So that he got that
wrong is expected. I'd have been more surprised had he actually known
the right answer and cared to give it.

But I've looked over the box my Win8 copy came in, and nowhere does it
say 'upgrade'. And there wasn't anything on the display, either. There
were other displays that mentioned 'upgrade', but this one did not. I
remember that because I wanted to avoid just this exact situation (and I
knew I didn't have the Vista discs), and I wasn't fully sure that Vista
qualified for the cheap upgrade, so I just wanted the plain, full,
stick-it-on-the-hard-drive OS. I got Win8 Pro, and this was the most
expensive Win8 at the Best Buy I could find, my 'logic' further being
that I expected the upgrade versions were cheaper, therefore the
non-upgrade version must be more expensive.

For what it's worth, though, I held up the Win8 box to the guy and said,
"can I install this on a new hard drive on my laptop without cloning or
copying anything from the old drive?"  I dunno, maybe you got the good
Best Buy--I think you can correctly assess my (novice) level of computer
knowledge based on my questions here, and just based on that I'm
reasonably certain I qualify to manage the Geek Squad operation in that
particular store.

My plan is let Peter get me an ISO, which I assume will allow me to use
the discs I have to authenticate the copy of Win8 I have. If that
doesn't work, I'll assess how determined I am to deal with the Best Buy
retards to get a 'full' copy or a refund, and if that doesn't work, I'll
dispute the charge on my credit card and buy a full copy, or else worst
case suck it up and clone my old drive to the new one. I'm sure the
process isn't that bad, but I really don't want any of the malware on
that drive to get on the new drive, hence the purchase of the new drive
and the new OS and it's proved very difficult to eradicate. There's no
kill like overkill.

I'll have to do something, though, because the SSD is taking several
minutes to boot, whereas the old HDD was talking about fifteen seconds
(both on Win8). I'd expect an SSD to do at least as well, so I'm hoping
that's an OS issue that will go away when the problems with it are
corrected.

Scott