Re: [Shop-talk] This is why I don't work in IT, was: Re: Entirely no

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] This is why I don't work in IT, was: Re: Entirely not shop related, but...
From: steve hochschild <shochschild@att.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 13:48:04 -0600
As a former tech support/ retail sales guy, I probably would have
answered the question the same way the Best Buy person did, if I had
been that clerk.  I am standing up for the sales people who generally do
know far more than is being assumed here.  Do you have any idea how much
Microsoft Windows 8 training Best Buy employees have had in the last few
weeks?  Many, many, many hours.  Getting and keeping a job at Best Buy
is not easy; I do not agree that they hire idiots, which someone said.

Forgive me if I misread it, but I understood your question to be whether
or not you could do a clean Windows install on a brand new hard drive
with an upgrade copy of Windows, and the answer to that is yes, you
can.  I would have assumed that you actually had the license cd.  No
sales guy is going to suggest that you are running Windows without a
license cd, that would not be good sales technique.

Did you specifically ask if you could do a clean install on a new drive
with an upgrade copy without the original Windows CD?  I believe the
answer to that question is no, as you have discovered.   Again, I don't
know what you asked, but that is the way I would have heard and answered
it.

Anyway, I will go out on a limb and predict that BestBuy will exchange
the opened upgrade copy you purchased for a full license copy, and
charge you the difference, if you politely explain that you purchased an
upgrade product that you can't use.   They might be even more likely to
agree to this if you take your machine in to them and ask them how much
the Geek Squad would charge to do this new install for you, which will
get you what you want, done right, very quickly, and allow them to
provide the service that makes them useful in this new retail world,
where places with employees compete with places without employees.  Look
at the Amazon page, does it answer the question you asked?  How could
it, there is no one to ask!...

  Please let us know what happens...