Re: [Shop-talk] Shop Vac

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>, Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop Vac
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 19:53:35 -0500
On 11/9/2012 7:31 PM, Doug Braun wrote:
> I am growing weary of my 12-year old, fairly cheap Sears shop vac.  It's
> starting to fall apart.
> Can anybody recommend a good replacement (or ones to avoid)?

I think there are really only two major manufacturers. Actual "Shop Vac"
brand, which most people say is lousy. And Ridgid, which sells under
their own name (@ Home Depot & elsewhere) and also appears to make
Sears'. There are some esoteric brands with absurdly high (multi-hundred
dollar) price tags, but you'd have to be an every day finish carpenter
or similar to justify them.

I have a Ridgid 12gal one from H.D. that's worked well for 4+ years. The
local H.D. has it (well, pretty much the same one) on holiday sale right
now for $70 (same I paid years ago) AND it comes with more accessories
than I got for the price (floor brush & squeegee nozzles). I can't say
it's quiet, but it is improved -- a lot less shrill or high-pitched than
the older Sears I had.

I like mine to be easy to move around, so I don't like the huge tank
models. Who needs 20+ gallons liquid capacity? That's what a pump is
for! Unfortunately, the mini-sized ones don't have all that much
suction. The Ridgid is a good in between size for me.

-W