Re: [Shop-talk] First use for new multimeter

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] First use for new multimeter
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 20:09:00 -0500
Scott,

The voltage out of the receiver should be 120V AC. You can check it at
that point.

Another way to test it is to bypass the receiver and connect the ballast
directly to power.

As for the output of the ballast, I wouldn't mess with it. The voltage
before the fluorescent lights is several thousand volts. This is much
higher than the top range on your meter. Since you have already tried
changing the lamp, I suspect that if the voltage coming out of the
receiver is working that you have a bad ballast.

Do you have another fixture that uses the same size bulb? If so, try
swapping lamps.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Scott