Re: [Shop-talk] Non-Ferrous miter saw blade?

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Non-Ferrous miter saw blade?
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 21:31:29 -0400
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net> wrote:
> What is special about about a blade to make it good for non-ferrous metals
> like aluminum?  Since I only have a few cuts, can I get a clean edge from a
> cheap regular 10" blade?

Whenever I've made cuts in plastic (like PVC pipe) I turned the blade
around backwards.  Got the cleanest cut you could imagine, with no
chipping.

Never tried it in metal, but if you had a scrap you could test, I'd
find it interesting...  <G>

If you try this:  Be sure to clamp or restrain your workpiece
carefully.  I can think of all sorts of ways for it to go wrong, and I
have the fused finger bones to show for it.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.