Re: [Shop-talk] Headlight housing hazing

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Headlight housing hazing
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 14:45:39 -0500
I worked on the headlights on our '05 Accord this weekend. I've used a
couple of the commercial kits and I think the Meguiar's Heavy Duty kits is
the best in my experience. It includes both 1000 and 3000 grit disks and a
comfortable to use disk holder, along with a liquid polish and a sealer.
There's also a soft cotton buffing disk for use with a drill that's about 3
inches across so it works well on all sizes and shapes of headlights.

I expect the sealer helps maintain the clarity longer than you might get
with just sanding and polishing. Our commute in through farm country and
there's often a lot of "junk" in the air. In fact a year or so ago our '95
Odyssey started overheating for no apparent reason, Turned out that over
several years the space between the AC condenser and rad had become full of
this stuff floating around in the air. I'm sure it's somewhat abrasive on
the headlights at 75 plus, too. Interesting to note that the headlights on
the Odyssey are cast from harder plastic than the Accord. They're held up
well but were also much improved after using the Maguier's kit on them, as
were the headlights on our '93 GMC PU.

I've noticed when driving our "new" '02 Suburban that the headlights leave
much to be desired, but it looks like the outfit that was mentioned here on
the list that was offering high output headlights is no longer in business.
I'll dig around on Jeg's, LMC Truck and some of the Chev/GMC truck forums
to see what I can find. I also want to improve the horn on the Sub. The OE
unit sounds like it's from a pedal car!

Ron