Re: [Shop-talk] Separating copper

To: <eric@megageek.com>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Separating copper
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 08:18:08 -0500
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=ameritech.net; b=NSNx5Sif4eOnHzWV48VAGtjO4msKVvhV2KuocKZwbY2m1oixnFtmF9qO+C+iEUDXuvHf+kS74yDHnOkykK6P1mf9/mrqvpL38POyLl+RwfewlXHcdA3g8KcdYxQVt4YOPxkfaR/o/lsBwqmIdiR+9U7WevRRcLA5HID26jb+uPE= ; s=s1024; t=1347369492; bh=kl7Umf0PeaL2FQIn4LKmCMXhgbAqhgkTElHe58tgX6k=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Reply-To:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:Content-Language; b=0tl8NZUsdGUP2EXjpz/lNRPvuYpX0Ii5ggF+KmNTpe6S8QRTCPpTC2f5WELtqvzqn0g3MJhwhNUnvuk+0hhctOyrLf7XXJjcgermoVCsSq5eB8G8duAXZoLSH8NbiSrpP8crAO79FvqhRTTlWQoI+eHQlbBHKjULPbr+DDI8JvA= LwC7GpvhWzGyYPsiczmp4HuRLHszSaB7aTfbLRJZ4sgYusvVz3kKRN9jhvHg W80KiMfnhTbsbEAkN6kPXJHOu9DK_ewhuRSX1DdGCqGLJq_.24ZZGzjv4MNb 68uWVPrUlc9WNkJNCQgJLmyMkaYVmYrlbOk1RC0SBks_lcwyHVPIAdvOkjVs LHqTtMvsGMJbzOvXptVi355o9hIRf0v0i1cpcE0EggdefIlwLYPzDqcPcMBz CSXRgoHWdzXDWMWMAvURserzxOiG_Shraj29AEHO7iHFr.bMYL1H096eAd8S IrJ8kZNxgCfo6_xKf6_x1qZoJUk8iBhdlj_QFMzc1hhz4s_1KxhbWsbpd2wJ uBb6y7VbfaZVh.FmIktoz2mD.EukoUkGowCttsztnkVlab4kCM2bA657WoMz D3lFdAt6XvDwfZMEGkgiFVm2nBzBLceESnj2DbOdJPM2DKU8KMEJT.RGaAKj 7uAw-
Having been disappointed in every rust penetrant I've ever tried, and never
really believing that any of them actually loosened anything, I just heard
of something else from someone similarly frustrated.

Corrosion X is a product sold for internal corrosion protection of vehicles
and structures.  Really popular for spraying inside aluminum aircraft, into
all the hidden panels, etc. where there's no way to clean or inspect short
of rivet removal and rebuilding.  It's not AFAIK sold as a penetrant for
part removal.  However...

This guy had two really rusty Curtiss OX-5 (used in the WWI Jenny, Waco 10,
etc.) engines he'd just bought.  I mentioned that successful disassembly
looked really iffy, and he immediately smiled and said that where previously
he'd anticipate spending months struggling with disassembly, he didn't
expect to spend more than a few hours on each one after an hour or two with
Corrosion X.  The engines have lots of steel and aluminum parts, with some
brass and copper as well.

He's not a Corrosion-X dealer - he makes custom embroidered shirts, jackets,
caps, etc. to support his antique airplane habit.  In fact, he didn't even
specify which formulation to use - they have several.

Karl