Re: [Shop-talk] Determining Space Requirements for a Storage Building

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Determining Space Requirements for a Storage Building
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:19:38 -0400
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Jorge Garcia <fortee9er@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I know that the average car will occupy 250Sq.Ft. so 250SqFt * 25=
> 6250Sq.Ft.  My idea of storage is along the lines of a parking garage, where
> you can have access to your vehicle without having to move the others.

You need to go measure the length of the cars in question, then look
at parking lots.  Assuming you plan to pull in next to the wall
(head-in or back-in parking), you will need enough aisle room to get
each car in and out.  That takes care of one dimension.  Then, allow 8
or 9 feet of width for each car (more for bigger cars or trucks) and
there's your other dimension.

Then, calculate the height you need for the lift plus the vehicle on
it.  That's your height.

The average LBC is maybe 16 feet long, so 16 + 16 + 20 (for the aisle)
means you need a building at least 50 feet in one dimension.  12 cars
on each side requires 100 feet or so.  Another 1000 sf for work area,
and you're right near your 6250 sf estimate.  But it's not just area,
but the way it's laid out that will be important.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.