Re: [Shop-talk] Trailer Deck Replacement

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Trailer Deck Replacement
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 15:54:11 -0500
Some years ago we bought a 5 x 12 utility trailer decked with ordinary 2 x
12s. We painted the top of the 2 x with quality exterior paint but after
two or three years sitting out with a slight tongue high angle which caused
water to drain to the back and soak the raw end grain, it was rotted out.

We replaced the original wood with treated 2 x 12 cut to length and painted
on all 6 sides thoroughly before putting them down with about 3/8 space
between them. I cut off the flat plate holding wood in the angle iron along
the back edge and drilled several holes in the corner of the angle to
minimize water sitting in there. Don't remember the total cost but it
wasn't too bad.

No problems at all since then.

FWIW,
Ron