Re: [Shop-talk] Ford Explorer Brake Line Repair

To: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Ford Explorer Brake Line Repair
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 20:19:02 -0500
Cc: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
On Aug 6, 2012, at 4:15 PM, Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com> wrote:

> On 8/6/2012 8:42 AM, Paul Parkanzky [and others] wrote:
>> It wasn't long ago that we expected an eight or nine year old vehicle to
>> be held together by hope and zip ties.  Now, a piece fails and you're
>> ready to call the lawyers?  Cars have come a long way in the last 25
>> years or so.  I don't know if I can say the same about society.
>
> Sorry if I hit a nerve with some of you. I despise litigious jerks and
ambulance chasing lawyers as much as anyone. I know a lot of you are into
1950s-ish LBCs and such. If that's your choice, fine. But all bets and
expectations are off on reliability in that case.

> Major failure of a safety critical part on a sub-ten year old mainstream
21st century vehicle is unacceptable. Unless it somehow has crazy high miles,
or has been abused. I consider a brake line to wear with age, rather than
mileage, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

Age is the big factor but salt can kill these right quick. So if it's parked
at a salt beach I'm not shocked at the failure. The other thing that kills
these is mechanical damage.  A bit of off roading, or changes to the
suspension, can easily be at fault.

I can't speculate w/o knowing the history and seeing the hose.