Re: [Shop-talk] Exterior nighttime surveillance cameras?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Exterior nighttime surveillance cameras?
From: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 21:31:39 -0400
The Foscams on Amazon are not genuine and will not get you any warranty or
support from Foscam.  Foscam.us run deals all the time for discounts on their
cameras.  I have two of them, an outdoor and an indoor.  The outdoor one
recently stopped working after a couple years of service, I've not yet
determined what the issue is... They are cheap and pretty good for the price,
however the weather might've gotten to mine despite it being mounted under an
eave - the inside of it showed no water damage when disassembled...   The
indoor one has pan and tilt as well, and I can control it all from an app on
my Android phone.
It can be finicky to configure, but the cameras take pretty good night vision
video, you can adjust brightness and contrast to help the picture.  If you
play with lens sizes you can get a wide or narrow focused view.  No zoom on
either indoor or outdoor models.  One advantage I use on the indoor camera is
that it will detect motion and can email you pictures it takes when it detects
motion, I use it sometimes when I'm away.  Can also upload pics to an FTP
site.  With some extra software you can "DVR" the video as well though I never
tried.  same for the outdoor however expect to get alot of "false positives".
Now thinking of getting an indoor camera for the inside of my garage to really
catch anyone who manages to get in, and to keep it out of the elements.
-PJ