[Shop-talk] 12x16 storage shed, where to put door?

Subject: [Shop-talk] 12x16 storage shed, where to put door?
From: jniolon at att.net (John Niolon)
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 12:39:23 -0500
if you're building from scratch... I'd put the wide door in the 12' end. (6'
minimum -- 8' better).. that way you can drive in the atv or zero turn and
park it..   THEN put an additional walk door (36" or 48") in the long wall
so you have access to the entire shed from the side while the mower/atv is
parked... no climbing or tripping or hunting...   couldn't cost much more
than a set of hinges and some locking mechanism...

I'd also place it and  paint it to blend in with the surroundings to make it
less noticeable and put some secure cross  bars (2) on the inside of the
doors if possible...well... one door will have to be barred from the outside
won't it ? :-)  It's amazing how much work someone will put into stealing
things.  No windows or if you do add bars there also...

regular passage locks are a waste... and give up easily to a large pair of
channel locks or a pipe wrench... might as well leave it open...1/2" x 3 or
4" flat bar secured in saddles made from the same material  ... heavy non
exposed hardware (weld the mounting bolts to the back of the saddles and
mount them thru the long side of the studs... and serious locks  with some
cut proof covers (lock inside a tube)... and that won't be enough to stop a
determined thief with battery operated tools.

just some ideas
john