[Shop-talk] Building a shed on skids

Subject: [Shop-talk] Building a shed on skids
From: pj_thomas at comcast.net (Peter J. Thomas)
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 19:49:31 -0400
On 4/5/2012 5:25 PM, cornerexit wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am looking to build a 12x16 wooden shed on some mostly undeveloped rural
> property to store a few tools and such. 200sqft or under gets me into the no
> building permits and no taxes if not attached to the ground category. Thus
> the 12x16 size.

Don't know where you are or your local the building codes.  But the
national code says any over a certain height requires a building
permit.  Not sure of the height (but basically if you can stand inside
you need a permit) or which year mandates the permit (though I think
2005).  States usually adopt national building codes for a certain year.

There can also be zoning regulation, and since you quote 200 sqft I
assume you don't need a zoning permit.  You might check with local
building inspector to see if the 200 sqft exception applies to the
building permit or the zoning permit.

>    This shed will likely need moved at least once during the
> development of the property, across mostly level but not exactly smooth
> ground. I will be using the tractor, dozer, or excavator to drag the shed to
> its new location. And yes, I'm looking into shipping containers as well, but
> at this point leaning towards a wooden shed.

Probably OK for one move but the shed may rack if you go over uneven ground.

> Anyway, I'll be using some type of PT large dimensional lumber for the
> skids, say 4x6.
>

> Looking for ideas on how to handle the hook-up for the tow/drag. A chain
> will be used from the tractor, but how to attach to the skids?
>

> I was thinking maybe mount some D-rings to the end of two or more of the
> skids with lag bolts, but I just don't know if those will handle the stress
> without just tearing out the lag bolts.
>

> Or maybe bore an inline hole through all 4 skids and string a cable or chain
> through them for the width of the shed/base. The idea would be to hook the
> chain from the tractor to the cable/chain on the shed at two places and
> start dragging. My concern with this is a hole big enough for a truckers
> chain (don't remember the size but that's what we call them on the farm) may
> weaken the 4x6 too much?
If you go with the lags, don't install them until you do the move.
Being against the ground they're likely come loose just from changes in
humidity and freeze thaw cycles.

I'd go with long large eye bolts preferably welded closed.  Drill thru
the sides and fasten with washer and nuts.

Peter T