[Shop-talk] Running power to the shop

Subject: [Shop-talk] Running power to the shop
From: shop-talk2 at mcfetridge.org (Ian McFetridge)
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 14:05:45 -0400
References: <1d36294e.3de9b2.135f3750bba.Webtop.45@charter.net> <CAFnfnRXWMBVj165VkUqr5JRuY5gj7VyYfckfd74OaKc_JHD5HA@mail.gmail.com> <CAO8Q7CNkrD34LkT-8spEmvoho3-w7mZpW-gov7mgnP9-E-2Ohw@mail.gmail.com> <4F597E77.9010907@xxiii.com> <CA+k5suqie_DmXRis+1_k5pHLE_ABbDuTT2ybn106jN+BJT+Lgg@mail.gmail.com> <4F59878D.60303@xxiii.com> <00e601ccfdb2$5aa153f0$0301a8c0@randall> <CAFnfnRXdCBO19CDd-0_w1PZ4_zFDc4zfmQ77GUDG2JtM0U0pOw@mail.gmail.com>
A quick update...

The trench was dug as planned, two 2" conduits were run to the garage with
two 4 ga conductors in one and Ethernet, cable, and a pull string
(Cat10000!).  The generator 4-prong twist plug is on the side of the box in
the shop with a custom-made 10 feet cable to the portable generator.  We
fired it up and the cut-over to the generator worked perfectly:  shut-off
the house main breaker, slide over the mechanical interlock and switch on
the breaker from the generator.

BTW, the inspector did require the ground at the panel in the shop and
cited article 250.32(A) for those of you who are curious. (this is NJ, so I
guess that's from the uniform code).

I do have one issue though!  I bought the mechanical interlock from
www.interlockkit.com and the laboratory they used for their UL
certification (Wyle) apparently is no longer certified.
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=FEDERAL_REGISTER&p_id=22157
  The inspector said there is a "bulletin" for products certified by by
Wyle labs.  I called Interlockkit (Master Electrical) and they confirmed
the lab did not pass its recent inspection and lost the certification.
 They offered to refund my money if the inspector does not pass my
installation because of the certification issue.  My interpretation is that
the part is still certified.  Wyle was certified when the part was tested
in 2009 and according to the OSHA site "the Agency no longer accepts
product certifications made by Wyle on or after this effective date."
(24-Aug-2011)   I have to plead my case to the inspector when he comes
back, showing him the test date and the OSHA statement.  If that fails,
I'll have to use a different interlock.  BUYER BEWARE, interlock's website
says nothing about the loss of UL certification.

On that note, can anyone recommend a 60A interlock that has a valid UL
certification?

Thanks,
Ian