[Shop-talk] Running power to the shop mail.com>

Subject: [Shop-talk] Running power to the shop mail.com>
From: jblair1948 at cox.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 09:53:49 -0500
At 09:27 AM 3/8/2012, Ian McFetridge wrote:

 >I'm planning to run power to the shop (detached garage) and figured it
 >would behoove me to get some input from the Shop-talk list.

Ian,

I don't know what the others will say, but you might want to have run more
power to the garage.  When we did my dads house, I think we ran either 100
or 200 amp service out to the garage.

Power is like computer memory - there is never enough.

But if you stay with the 60 A, what you've laid out sound good to me.

We also have a generator in the detatched garage.  We back feed the panel
in the garage from the 240V socket for the arc welder.  We open the
mains in the house and close the mains in the shop to backfeed the house.

Just becareful not to over load your feed point by pulling too much
power in the
house and garage.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net

                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction