Re: [Shop-talk] balky Honda EU2000i generator

To: Roland Wilhelmy <rwil@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] balky Honda EU2000i generator
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 07:50:57 -0500
Over the last few weeks I wasted a lot if time nursing a ten-year-old
low-end Homelite 5kW generator back to health.  It ran poorly and
produced no output.  First I tried flashing the field, but no luck.
Then I replaced a failed rectifier inside the generator unit and it
started producing output.  As I was admiring my handiwork, I noticed
that gas was dripping from the fuel pump (never buy a generator with a
fuel pump!).  I installed a fuel pump rebuild kit, but it still
leaked.  I realized that the plastic pieces of the fuel pump housing
were warped, so I clamped it together and crazy-glued the joint.

Then I realized that the idle circuit of the carb was non-functional.
If I pushed the throttle mostly closed, the engine would immediately
die.  I tried a lot of carb cleaner and compressed air to clean out
the passages, but I could never get gas to flow from the bowl to the
idle passages.  The idle circuit was involved with the main jet, but
it would not come out and I ended up destroying the casting trying to
remove it.  So I ordered and installed a new carb, and now it works as
good as new.

I guess my point is: generators are very suspectible to getting their
carbs gummed up.  You may need to remove your carb and confirm that
every single passage and circuit flows like it should.

I also have a EU2000, which I am very happy with.  But I have never
tried to service it, except for changing the oil.  Have you been
draining the carb bowl before storing it?  Honda provides a handy
little valve for this purpose, with a little drain hose to keep the
drained gas from ending up in the bottom of the housing.

Doug

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums