Re: [Shop-talk] Can steel cable be welded?

To: <jeffers@mwt.net>, <fishplate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Can steel cable be welded?
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 15:45:21 -0600
They do and page 18 (http://www.tigersunited.com/resources/wsm/wsmk18.asp)
shows the lever arrangement I was trying to describe.  (The Alpine manual is
also online, but I would have had to post a much more general link and forced
people to search for the right drawing, so thanks for posting this one.  It
was much easier.)

I can also report that Plan B worked just fine.  After posting the description
yesterday, I decided to rummage through my
 spare parts to see if I had an extra bracket.  (Something I should do more
often, if only to keep me from buying things I already have.)  What I found
was a
bracket from an earlier Series Alpine.  They used a different e-brake
set up and their bracket was about 1 1/2 inch shorter, but otherwise
identical.  It only took me
about 20 minutes to switch brackets and I think it did the trick without
 noticeably impacting the force required to pull up the handle.  I now have a
much tighter e-brake than I have had for quite a while, plus room to adjust
further to compensate for stretching of the cable.  I also discovered that it
was pretty simple to adjust the tension by removing the pin that holds the
bracket to the brake lever and just turning the entire bracket to tighten it.
Not quite as easy as the OEM method, but close enough.

Thanks for all who responded.  I may still have the original cable shortened,
if only to have it around for a spare.

Jim