[Shop-talk] making a slot in aluminum plate

Subject: [Shop-talk] making a slot in aluminum plate
From: jniolon at bham.rr.com (john niolon)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 06:42:08 -0600
Gerald, if you could see my small shop... I couldn't get a Bridgeport in the
shop unassembled and stuffed in the little available space... much less
assembled.  I'm literally stepping over 'stuff' to get to other stuff. It's
24x24 and right now has a '53 ford truck in some stage of assembly, a Cub
Cadet lawn tractor being repaired, 3 welders, a plasma cutter, a 50s era gas
pump (disassembled) a pressure washer, two shop vacs, a 36x36 rolling shop
fan, 4 tool boxes, 16' of work bench, two rolling work tables, one wall of
shelves holding misc crap and every inch of wall space covered with
important 'stuff', all the misc tools that won't fit in the toolboxes, two
floor jacks, 4 jack stands... ped grinder, drill press, hyd press. a 5
drawer file cabinet, 3 sets of floor to ceiling drawer sets (bolts, nuts and
hardware).  There is a nice aluminum radiator and a set of Sanderson headers
hanging from the ceiling... oh, and a 50Kbtu ceiling hung gas heater.  It's
getting a little cluttered !   And everything is covered with a 1/16" of
fiberglass dust from the truck project...

I'd love a lathe and a Bridgeport and a vertical bandsaw and all the
tooling... and a 100x300 building to put them in... wait, that might not be
big enough.  I remember when I built this house/shop and stood in the empty
finished shop and realized... dang, it's not big enough.  It was a sad
feeling :-(

john