[Shop-talk] FW: Portable air tanks?

Subject: [Shop-talk] FW: Portable air tanks?
From: elans4 at cox.net (Mullen)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 16:58:45 -0500
Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> Back when I was homebrewing on a regular basis I saw
> some quick connect garden hose fittings, thought they
> would be handy for shuffling stuff around in the
> brewery. They worked well.  Once I found out you
> couldn't disconnect them under pressure like air
> fittings.

I use quick connect garden hose fittings on all my garden hoses and
attachments.  A couple of my female connectors have "cutoffs" that stop the
flow of water when you disconnect from them.  No problem with that, it's the
re-coupling of fittings after that, as the water pressure tends to hold the
coupler shut off very tight and makes it VERY difficult to plug into the
coupler (many, many times harder than connecting an air hose fitting) - I
figure it has to do with the square inches of the size of the passageway
compared to an air hose.  (Or maybe I'm just weak.)

In any case, I use the small in-line quarter turn cut-off valves at the end
of the hose as someone else mentioned.

Tim Mullen