Re: [Shop-talk] Tool APB: Rotating head pliers?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tool APB: Rotating head pliers?
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 08:28:41 -0800
For the future, if it is not a tight fit, another option is a drop of
superglue on the end of a pencil eraser.  Pull out the piece and snap it
off the eraser.  Just keep in mind that superglue will wick up threads,
so only use a little.

This idea can also be used to install a nut where you can't reach.  I
first used it to put nuts on small bolts holding a transformer in a very
tight case (couldn't use a nut driver).  When I tightened the bolt
enough, the glue bond to the eraser broke.  I then used a flat
screwdriver between the nut and transformer to fully tighten the screw
in the nut.

It is always a pleasant surprise to find a part is easily available at a
reasonable price.  This happened with a TR6 brake master cylinder
rebuild kit.  Moss and TRF were either back ordered or at a very high
price.  I was at NAPA and asked.  They said, "sorry, bad news".  I
thought that meant it wasn't available, but to them, bad news was I
would have to wait two days and come back.  The kit was also half the
price.  It never hurts to check with a traditional source for parts.

Brian