Re: [Shop-talk] [Roadsters] Slightly OT--car won't start

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] [Roadsters] Slightly OT--car won't start
From: Tim <tputland@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 09:22:47 -0500 (EST)
Thanks again to all who replied. Sorry for the verboseness here....

I had checked the terminals, grounds, cables, etc. (learned about this
part from the Datto!).

When the battery showed fully charged on the tender, I assumed
(incorrectly) that the battery was fine.

This was my first experience with a failed battery AND a battery tender.
I didn't know that a battery can show fully charged and still be bad (a
new thing learned!!!).

So, after minor surgery to just get the old battery out ( I had to
remove the air filter box, three hoses and two electrical connections to
get to the bottom of the battery hold down as the nut and bolt were just
spinning). I placed a different battery in the car and it was an
immediate improvement in engine turn over speed. But the car still would
not start. Since this new battery was too big, I had to go buy one that
was the correct size. Once installed the car would still not start.
Well, dumbassthatIam, there is not a car in the world that will start
with the coil wire disconnected (had to move it as it was in the way of
pulling a hose to get the air box out). So, reconnect the coil wire and
it fired right up.

So, like i said, another thing learned!

My daughter, bless her heart, asked me if I wanted money for the
battery! I told her not necessarily as I knew she HAD no clue what
automotive batteries cost. The look on her face later on when I told her
how much I paid yesterday? PRICELESS!!

Thanks again too all who replied!!

Happy Holidays All!!!

A little less clueless today than yesterday
Tim

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums