[Shop-talk] HF Double Cut Saw

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] HF Double Cut Saw
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 18:26:50 -0600
Has anyone tried the Harbor Freight Double Cut Saw?  It is certainly a great
deal at its current $70 price, if it is any good.  The feedback on it is
certainly mixed.  It sounds like it works well, provided the motor doesn't
burn out in the first 5 minutes of use.  Since I am only 10 minutes away from
my nearest HF, the hassle having to exchange one isn't too big a deal, if it
cuts as advertised.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-double-cut-saw-68316-8065.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2Rl
IjoiNDA3MTgxNTIiLCJza3UiOiI2ODMxNiIsImlzIjoiNjkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjo
iODA2NSJ9%0D%0A&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4811b&utm_source=1002

And, speaking of the feedback, there is an interesting review with very
specific instructions on breaking in a new motor:

"Before using your saw, Run the Motor!  Electric motors need breaking in
before use!  Putting a load on a tool before breaking in the motor is
damaging to the saw!  It's Easy!
Turn on and run for 30 seconds then
let cool for 5 minutes, then run for 1 minute, then cool, repeat several
 times and you should be good. Do this to all your new tools. Sure, you
may get a bad one, if so, you will know instantly. With HF's excellent
return policy, it should be no problem.  Putting stress on a brand new
motor damages the brushes and motor itself."

I have never heard this advice before.  Would others here recommend that too?

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums