[Shop-talk] installing a helicoil

Subject: [Shop-talk] installing a helicoil
From: TR3driver at ca.rr.com (Randall)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 19:31:27 -0800
> you probably have a 60/40
> chance..

IMO if you can tap a hole, you can install a Helicoil.  I'm not particularly
good at working free-hand, and I've never screwed one up enough to have to
take other measures.  Ruined an insert once, but only because I didn't turn
the tap deep enough.  (Was threading a starter bolt hole that ran through
the mounting flange and into the bellhousing; didn't realize how thick the
flange was.  Bolt jammed against the insert and came out with it attached.)

> ...If you
> screw it up you not only have the cost of a Helicoil kit but
> the cost of a new head.

There are inserts available that will work in a hole too big for a Helicoil.
For example:
http://www.timesert.com/html/bigsert_sparkplug.html

-- Randall