[Shop-talk] Voltage regulators

Subject: [Shop-talk] Voltage regulators
From: jamesf at groupwbench.org (Jim Franklin)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 09:15:59 -0400
For the ~30 years I've been playing with vehicles, regulators have been a
mysterious black box to be immediately replaced (right after the battery) if
anything is wrong with the charging system. I have a 6v Italian motorcycle
that charges at 10v, maybe higher but I shut it off to not kill the battery.

Is there a reason they can't be tested and/or replaced with any other
regulator of similar current carrying capacity? I mean, I'm sure mine is toast
since it grounds through the frame and I ran it with all the mounting bolts
loose for  a day. But it looks like an original replacement isn't available,
so why not a tractor or Vespa replacement?