[Shop-talk] leak down test

Subject: [Shop-talk] leak down test
From: ejrussell at mebtel.net (Eric J Russell)
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:49:39 -0400
More than a compression gauge - two gauges and a source of compressed air.
One gauge is connected to the cylinder being tested via the spark plug hole
to measure how well it holds pressure. The other gauge measures input air
pressure. The engine is positioned at TDC on compression (valves closed) and
the cylinder then pressurized (being careful as the engine could suddenly
move). By comparing the input pressure vs the cylinder pressure one can
compute how well the cylinder holds pressure. ex: if input pressure is 100
psi and cylinder pressure is 95 psi then it is said the leak down is 5%. A
really tight engine might measure 2%-3% leak down.

One of the main advantages of a leak down test is that with the cylinder
thus pressurized one can listen at specific areas and pinpoint where the
cylinder is leaking. Listen at the carb throat to check if the intake valve
is leaking. Listen at the exhaust pipe for a leaky exhaust valve. Listen at
an adjacent cylinder, in the cooling system, and around the outside of the
block for a failed head gasket. Listen at the oil sump (via the oil fill
usually) for leaky rings. Rings do typically leak a little bit so it is a
judgment call to decide if they are OK or not.

Since I am frugal (OK, cheap...) I have made an eL-Cheapo version. No
gauges, just a fitting that screws into the spark plug hole with an adapter
for my air hose. Position the piston at TDC on compression, apply 80-100 psi
(again being careful as the engine could suddenly move) then listen as
described above. Usually for checking a used engine or diagnosing a problem
I am less concerned about a specific leak down percentage and just want to
know if/where there is a problem.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell