[Shop-talk] Gutting a cottage and suffering from shipwright's disease /

Subject: [Shop-talk] Gutting a cottage and suffering from shipwright's disease / scope creep
From: pj_thomas at comcast.net (Peter J. Thomas)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 20:42:22 -0400
On 8/12/2011 7:32 PM, Aric wrote:

A couple questions:

1. Seeing as I have the main house, the cottage and a couple rooms in our
current house (which we're keeping) to paint, any thoughts on HVLP sprayers?
Do they live up to the hype?  I was less than impressed with the Wagner
sprayers I have (no idea how I got two of them...), but only because I could
never get more than 10 minutes of spraying out of it without it jizzing on
the wall.  I liked the texture it left (minus the jizz) and how quick it
went (if you discount time fixing the jizz), so am curious if I'll be happy
with the HVLP systems.

No experience with a HVLP, though I know woodworker prefer them for
thicker finishes.  The low pressure gently lays the finish with out the
micro air bubbles so it can properly flow.  I would assume same benefits
for thicker paints like gloss.  Personally, I prefer rolling paint as it
adheres better.  Professional paints I have experience with will only
use sprayers for flat paint, they roll every thing else.  Even then flat
paint still peels if sprayed.

I've also used consumer and professional Wagner sprayers.  The
difference between the two is night and day.  Still prefer rolling and
would only use a sprayer for things like louvers.

I tried one of those rollers that suck the paint into the handle and
really liked it.  Was able to knock out a room quickly.  No going back
to the tray few strokes.  No tray to step in.  Took a little getting
used to but the beauty is if you get too much on you already have a
roller.  Just guessing but it probably quicker than spraying.

Just some thoughts,

Peter T.