Re: [Shop-talk] Well water installation

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Well water installation
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:31:00 -0400
Thanks for the feedback.

To clarify what I have is a spring well box.  Literally, it's a concrete
box that a spring keeps filled up.  I've never really had problems with
it, but it seems that there are biological issues with this set up.  Lots
of stuff gets in there and dies.  Then, I still have some small sediments
in my water.  I need to install a filter, but right now, if I did, it
would most likely need to be cleaned daily!

With an inground well, I remove the biological aspect pretty much.  Then,
since my water table is about 4' (and that is also my frost line) I can't
image this being a tough process.

If I need water, I can dig a hole with a shovel and get it flowing
quickly.  8>0

Moose
Waldo Emerson

Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Sent by: shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net
08/15/2011 10:25

shop-talk@autox.team.net
cc

Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] Well water installation

Eric,

I own two houses with wells, have replaced the pump on one, and after
three years in running battle with it, am about to do some serious
'maintenance' to the other.

Having said that, I know probably about as much as you.  I don't know
what having a spring well entails (versus an in-ground well, which I
have), but if what you have now is working, I'd keep it.  I have horror
stories.

It seems to me that this is one of those things where you either get a
good one or you don't, and if you don't it's better to just move.  There
are like three parts to a well system (pump, switch, tank), yet with
that relatively simple system, I am without useable water at at least
one house at any given time.

Alternatively, get a subterranean well at your house, become expert in
the whole system, and explain it to me.  God knows I need the
education.  I'm about to have a new one dug because the one at the
second house with a well keeps silting up.  The 'well' itself is fine,
but the whole-house filtering-and-cleaning system it requires to produce
drinkable water is a bit extreme.

Alternatively, the well at my mom's house has been there since 1986 and
has never had a second's worth of trouble, and zero maintenance.
So...YMMV.

Scott

On 8/15/2011 8:09 AM, eric@megageek.com wrote:
> OK, now that the oil tank removal is behind me, I'm working on my next
> major project, installing a well.
>
> I currently have a spring well for my water, but I wanted to go to an
> inground well.  I'm told that it's expensive, $7K to $12K so I'm looking
> here for any advice.
>
> I know very little about wells and wondering if someone here could give
me
> the pros and cons of installation.  What should I look for/ look out
for?