Re: [Shop-talk] Gutting a cottage and suffering from shipwright's

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Gutting a cottage and suffering from shipwright's
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 14:41:14 -0400
On Aug 12, 2011, at 7:32 PM, Aric wrote:
> There's also a cottage on the property that's
> roughly 800sq-ft that was built in the I

The date was truncated...but I'm assuming 1920s from the plaster comment
below.
>  Given the amount of mouse
> turds elsewhere I'm afraid if I don't pull it (and the insulation above)
> I'll never get rid of the smell.  But dear lord, that's going to be an
> unpleasant task and cleanup.  Thoughts?

I have done this in a house about half as bad as yours. As much of a
preservationist as I am, there are some things too far gone to preserve.
Biohazard contamination is on that list.

You could always pop into Loe's and see what it would cost to replace the
post0gut structure, and ask your self if it's worth it to you. But the
biohazard has soaked into all the wood. I don't think you'll ever really get
rid of it.

If you decide to go for it, get a good organic respirator and lab bunny tyvek
suit that covers your head, and eye protection.

If you're in an incorporated area, might be worth a visit to the town and ask
their advice. They may pay you to have the Fire Dept burn it to practice on.

> 3. Last question is regarding pulling the floors...  The cottage currently
> has a gas fired hot water system that seems to work fine.  Problem is the
> piping/radiators are going to make pulling the floors problematic,
> especially since we'll be moving a wall or two.  I'm thinking if I cut them
> out to make the rehab easier I may as well ditch the hot water system
> altogether and put in a small central air system (we're in souteast PA, so
> we do get 'winter', but not unreasonably so).  Thoughts on this?

What will you use the cottage for? Small systems in a small house will be
drafty and hard to regulate since there's no mass buffer. As a guest house
it's probably fine to go with air, but I'm not a fan.

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums