[Shop-talk] Follow-up: New house / underground oil tank

To: <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>, "'Shop Talk'"
Subject: [Shop-talk] Follow-up: New house / underground oil tank
From: "Aric" <shop@shariconglobal.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 16:11:53 -0400
Howdy Folks,

Now that we're through closing and working on fixing up the house I figured
I'd do a bit of a follow-up to the question I had about underground oil
tanks.  Thanks to my buddy Pete (who I sucked into the list years ago and
recently brought me back onto it after a prolonged absense) for sending
along copies of the threads I recalled seeing.  Apparently he's in a similar
situation and squirreled the emails away for future reference.

Anyway, after lots of calls to the realtor, the company that's been
supplying the oil for the past 40 years, the company that tested the well,
several oil tank remediation companies it looks like our state (PA) has a
grant program that should cover a good bit of any remediation that needs to
be done when we remove the tank.  Why only the one remediation company knew
of the program is beyond me, but they say it gernerally covers the whole
thing provided the tank is in decent shape (no odor in the basement, furnace
firing properly, etc).  So we'll be leaving things be for the moment since
there's no evidence of a problem and there's enough oil in it to get us
through a good chunk of the winter.  Come Spring (when we have a renter in
the place and rental income coming in to offset the cost of removal) we'll
pull the tank and either convert to gas or put an above-ground one in.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

-aric.

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums