[Shop-talk] Mountable extension cord?

Subject: [Shop-talk] Mountable extension cord?
From: dmscheidt at gmail.com (David Scheidt)
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 18:22:58 -0500
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 3:17 PM, David Hillman <hillman at planet-torque.com>
wrote:
> B  Googling has failed, so I turn to the masters of finding all things
> mechanical.
>
> B  Does anyone make an extension cord with a mountable face? B Like this,
> except 110v ( standard 3-prong, NEMA 5-15 ) instead of data ( although a
> 220v version might come in handy for another project, but I won't hold my
> breath for that ).
>
> http://www.masimo.com/sensors/cable-mountable.htm
>
> B  I could make something out of standard electrical supplies, but it would
> be big and bulky. B Simple and small would be nice for this application.
>
> B  I also struck out at McMaster-Carr already.
>
> B  Thanks in advance.

You won't find one like that computer cable.  That's a violation of
the NEC. Relocatable power taps (NEC-speak for 'power strip') are not
approved for permanent mounting to structure, tables, etc.  (and more
importantly for people who make these things, the UL (who don't always
care about code) won't approve such a device.)

I know of ZERO code-approved ways to put a mobile outlet into a
drawer, and I looked pretty hard a couple years ago.  If it's a
permanent cabinet, it's possible to do something like mount an outlet
facing into the the side of the drawer, and provide a cutout in the
drawer side that allows access at all drawer positions.  (I'm not sure
that's actually code, but I've seen it.) Or a fixed outlet at the
front, pointing down.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt at gmail.com