[Shop-talk] Wifi to the garage

Subject: [Shop-talk] Wifi to the garage
From: hillman at planet-torque.com (David Hillman)
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 13:44:37 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Bob Nogueira wrote:
> Ibve been trying to use my laptop in the garage so I can listen to the ball
> game while working.  Problem I am having is the garage is right on the fringe
> of our wifi  network.
> What I have noticed is that the  strength will vary from 1 mbps to 11 mbps
> without moving the computer or anything changing.  When it falls to the low
> side I loose the broadcast.
> Any simple tricks to increase the signal strength that tiny bit I need to keep
> it from dropping out  right in the middle of a great play?   Why does the
> signal strength change when noting else has changed?

    That severe a drop suggests interference, to me.  Do you happen to have
a cordless telephone?  If it's a 900 Mhz model, I wouldn't be surprised to
find that your signal drop corresponds to phone usage.  When we used to
have a 900 Mhz phone, it was mutually exclusive with wifi... you could use
either, but not both.

    Depending on your property, it might even be your neighbor's phone.

    If not, I third the recommendation on upgrading to g or n.  I have been
nothing but pleased since I did.

--
  David Hillman

PS Or, buy one of these things called an "AM Radio".  Never seen one in
person, but I'm told they can pick up ball games on 'em ;)