Re: [Shop-talk] Firing order problems.

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Firing order problems.
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 20:57:32 -0400
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Todd Walke <racertod@racertodd.com> wrote:
>      Check the camshaft.  That'll tell you the firing order.  Rotate it in
> the normal direction until you're at TDC on cylinder 1.  Both lobes on #1
> will be facing up.  Rotate it until the next pair of lobes are facing up.
>  That's the next cylinder to fire.  Repeat two more times and you'll have
> the firing order.

To this I would add -- pay attention that after TDC on #1 (with both
valves closed), the next valve to open is the exhaust valve.  this
will ensure that you are turning it in the right direction.  Then
proceed to identify the remaining cylinders in order.

>        As far as I know, 1-3-4-2 is the only firing order used for an
> inline-4 with a 180 degree crankshaft as it is the only firing order that
> results in primary balance.

It's the most common, anyway.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.