[Shop-talk] A little more about Blackstone Labs

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] A little more about Blackstone Labs
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 19:16:44 -0500
Based on the recent discussion here about Blackstone Labs, I decided to send
them an oil sample from my Alpine.  I was fairly certain I had a head gasket
leak, although there was no visible coolant in the oil nor visible oil in the
coolant.  I figured the $25 was a good investment against the pain of removing
the head only to find that nothing was wrong.  I sent in the sample on
Thursday (2nd day air) and they called me up today.  The important part of
this is the phrase "they called me".  All they were obligated to do for my $25
was email me their report.  However, someone from Blackstone called me today
because the analysis showed significant levels of potassium (a sign of
coolant), aluminum and lead (most likely due to excessive piston and bearing
wear caused by coolant in the oil).  They called because they were concerned
about the engine and wanted to be sure I got the news immediately!

While I am certainly not happy to have confirmation that I need to pull the
head, I am amazed that they took the trouble to call me.  Add me to the list
of satisfied Blackstone customers!

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums