[Shop-talk] Generic Head Bolts/Studs

Subject: [Shop-talk] Generic Head Bolts/Studs
From: tr3driver at ca.rr.com (Randall)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 14:15:05 -0700
> (Re-using 45 year old bolts
> when I
> rebuilt the engine is probably the reason I need to replace the gasket
> now.)

Seems very unlikely to me, unless they were damaged in some fashion
(especially the threads were distorted just outside the block/nut).  I drove
to work this morning with 55-year-old studs, and the previous head gasket
problem proved to be improper dimensions (apparently a factory defect).

If the threads look OK visually (not knife edged or pitted from rust) and
you can spin a new nut easily all the way down, then IMO they should be
fine.

Sorry I can't help otherwise, except to note that MMC sells 3/8-24
all-thread in grade B7 (which is slightly stronger than SAE Grade 5).

-- Randall