Re: [Shop-talk] stripped screw hole in carb

To: "'shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] stripped screw hole in carb
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 09:37:57 -0700
> 2. us JB weld with soap on the bolt.  Once the epoxy has cured,
> unscrew the screw.

Although I've not tried that on a carb, I have in other places where the
Loctite makes a similar product specifically for repairing threads:
http://media.midwayusa.com/pdf/instructions/Loctite_stripped_threads.pdf
which comes with a chart of allowable torque values for the 'repaired'
thread.  23 INCH pounds for a 1/4" bolt isn't much!

So if you can find a Helicoil in the appropriate size, that would be my
suggestion.  They aren't cheap, but the repaired threads are actually
stronger than the originals, especially in soft metals like carb bodies.

-- Randall

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums