[Shop-talk] gps stuff update

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] gps stuff update
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 07:10:06 -0500
Well.... looked all around and found that finding the best deal is about it...
they all have most of the same features and comparable prices...  I chose two
criteria for making a decision on one...

I needed to be able to see it driving (63 y.o eyes) and it had to have a hook.

Costco sent my coupon book for June/July and there was a Magellan 9020
Roadmate for 50 bucks off with free lifetime traffic and maps.  The 9020 is a
7" unit and even sitting at the windshield it's easy to read from the drivers
seat. Plenty bright display.. It has a nice clear voice (haven't named her
yet) and it even finds private roads that don't have names or don't show on
maps.  i.e. roads inside our steel mill.  I've only programmed in one short
trip to test and it worked perfectly, chose the route I'd have taken.  The
only problem is I punched in the wrong house number and it arrived 1/4 mile
before I did !!!  operator error.

The only downside I see is... it's big !  I know I said that was a plus... but
it's big ...like easy to spot and a likely breakin item.  a case has been
ordered and it will be out of side when parked from now on.  It will fit
nicely in the console.  It comes with a windshield magnet, but I opted for a
sticky pad for the dash... it blocks less windshield there.  Fold a piece of
copy paper in half top to bottom... that's it's footprint.  Higher in the
windshield would block a possible 'situation' I might need to see

I need to plan a road trip and put it through it's paces... it does have
multiple stops as an option and 6 brazillian p.o.i.s .   We'll see what it
offers using a different route to the coast this weekend...

end of update... we now return you to your regular programming

john

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums