[Shop-talk] Metric vs inch vs din vs sae vs whitworth vs bsd

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Metric vs inch vs din vs sae vs whitworth vs bsd
From: "Mark Miller" <markmiller@threeboysfarm.com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 09:41:38 -0700
<<<You really have to pay attention because some of the metric sizes fit
pretty well in imperial wrenches.  Generally the engine is imperial (I
suppose because of it's Buick history), and most of the rest is metric.  But
there are some exceptions that don't seem to make any sense.  For example,
the rear
suspension links are 7/16" bolts, while the front uses 12mm.   Except for
the
ball joints, which are 1/2"....

So much for the superiority of the metric system!  (I know, it isn't the
system's fault, it is the competing standards).>>>

And I'll say a good word for the standards and blame expediency, lazy
engineers (I know because I am one, though we call it energy efficient now),
and cost measures.

Mark Miller

Who spent yesterday morning taking apart and reassembling an on demand hot
water heater because someone saved 1/2 cent on a POS sensor clamp.  Thank
you, Bosch.

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums