Re: [Shop-talk] pex piping question

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] pex piping question
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 17:44:50 -0400
I installed a hydrant about a month ago doing exactly what you are talking
about. Here is the problem...

Hydrants connect to the water supply at the bottom of the pipe.  So it's
just a straight pipe that you need an elbow for at the bottom.

ANY plastic connection there will break right away.  So here is what I
did...

I plumbed the hydrant with metal fittings (an 90degree elbow at the
bottom, then about a 12" piece of metal pipe, then another 90 metal elbow
up about 3" to the final 90 metal elbow.

from there, I connected to the pex (they have fittings to go from one to
the other.)

Using this method, the hydrant is mounted to a good metal 'base' arm and
the stress is completely off the pex.

Let me know if I did explain it right, I can draw it much easier.

Moose
Waldo Emerson

"john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Sent by: shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net
05/27/2011 15:29

"shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
cc

Subject
[Shop-talk] pex piping question

thinking about this PEX stuff and ease of install... I have a 3/4" water
line
in unattached garage...never been used... I'd like to extend this line to
another area of the yard (on other side of driveway and building..and
install
a hydrant for watering seems like a quick ditching job and laying this
stuff
in the hole would make quick work of it...

surely they make copper/pex adapters for the tie in... and pex/galv for
the
hydrant end... with appropriate cut offs and drain valves... and maybe a
cutoff with a air coupling in the garage to blow it all down come
winter...

is this stuff good for underground burial ??   would it work well and be
cheaper than pvc ??

thanks
John

and happy Memorial day to all