Re: [Shop-talk] old battery charger, how it works?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] old battery charger, how it works?
From: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 19:33:19 -0500
Is this a test?

I would think that normally you would have a diode to form a rectifier
that would convert AC to a form of DC.  Well I don't think semiconductor
diodes were around then and you didn't say anything about having vacuum
tubes in there.  I was kind of wondering if you could take a sine wave
output from one transformer and combine it with a sine wave output from
another transformer that is 180 degrees out of phase, and the result
would be a lumpy DC wave.  But I couldn't find any evidence that anybody
ever did this, so maybe my reasoning is faulty.  But there were power
conversion systems that used rotating elements and also systems that
used vibrating points to switch between different phases.  (OK, I just
figured out how my reasoning about combining sine waves was faulty, so
can't do that.)