[Shop-talk] Tig Welder

Subject: [Shop-talk] Tig Welder
From: hillman at planet-torque.com (David Hillman)
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 18:37:51 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 30 Apr 2011, John Mitchell wrote:
>    I've asked the wife for a Tig welder for an anniversary present.  I need
> recommendations on models in the $1500 range if that's practical.  It will
> mostly be used for automotive tasks and I definitely want the ability to weld
> aluminum.  I have a small 240v plasma cutter, and a small 120v Miller mig
> which is great for sheet metal repairs.  I'd like a tig for doing projects
> that require a prettier weld and possibly for frame repairs where my Mig is
> very marginal.  I'd appreciate any insights.  Thanks    John Mitchell
> Shelton, CT

    Just went down this road myself ( and bought a Miller Syncrowave 180
at the upper end of your range, fwiw ).

    If you want to do aluminum, you need an AC/DC tig.  Many of the
less-expensive units are DC only, and will be of little use to you.  You
also need more juice for aluminum, probably at least 175a.  Most people
will say you need 200 for AL, but that will be tough in your budget.

    Speaking of power, the next big decision you'll need to make is if you
want an inverter or transformer.  Inverters are newer, more efficient,
smaller, and not-surprisingly, more expensive.  The only new inverters in
your budget are the Miller Diversion 165/Hobart EZ-Tig twins ( both
Illinois Tool Works companies, same unit, different color... ~$1300 new,
the Hobart comes w/ foot pedal the Miller w/ finger control ) and many
Chinese-made knockoffs.  Transformers are everything else, although they
are still made.

    If you are buying new, and spending less than $1500, I think that about
wraps your choices.  Most people will tell you to stay away from the
Chinese-built machines for several reasons.  I did not consider them.

    If you are open to buying used, you can get a very nice AC/DC tig for
$1500.  Transformer machines like the Syncrowave ( 180, 200, 250 ) or
Lincoln Precision Tig ( 185, 225 ) or Squarewave ( 175, 225 ) sell in that
neighborhood, and will be just what you are looking for.  They are bigger
( mine is 225 pounds ) and will require serious electricity at the top
end ( typically a 50a or 60a 240v circuit ).  Inverters will make the
same output on a 30a circuit, so consider the cost of upgrading if
necessary.

    There are also much older AC/DC tigs that can be had for under a $1k,
such as the Miller Econotig and Econo Twin HF.  $500-800 is a typical
price, and they are obviously transfomer-based ( ie huge and power hungry
).

    Plan on practicing once you get it ;)  I just came in from that very
activity.

--
  David Hillman