[Shop-talk] DannMar MaxJax ?

Subject: [Shop-talk] DannMar MaxJax ?
From: eric at megageek.com (eric at megageek.com)
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 09:52:24 -0400
I can't agree more with Eric's comments (maybe us "Eric's" think alike!)

The real rub here is that the capacity is only 6000lbs.  I guarantee you
that you will have stuff that you want to put on it but can't.

My lift is 12,000 and I find that I want to get a bigger/heavy unit!  8>)
My lift was $2,400 delivered to my door.

Plus, the actual lift height isn't that impressive.

Lets not forget that you have two hydraulic lines that are in your way if
you are trying to roll a tool box around or something.

Most importantly, think about this, YOU will be under that car.  Do you
want to worry about it falling?  I know that I am much happier with a lift
that is only operating within 30% of it's limits, than one that is at near
capacity.  Plus, each time you need to make sure you torque the bolts
correctly.  After a while, I would image the bolts would be stretched and
no good.  Cars and lifts can be replaced, you can't.

If you are near NJ, I'll be happy to come over and help with the install
of a real lift.  They are much safer.  I'll even bring my hammer drill and
fork lift! 8>)

Moose (who was name "Eric" at birth.)  8>)
Waldo Emerson

"Eric J Russell" <ejrussell at mebtel.net>
Sent by: shop-talk-bounces at autox.team.net
04/30/2011 09:34

<shochschild at att.net>, "shop-talk" <shop-talk at autox.team.net>
cc

Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] DannMar MaxJax ?

Browse around on the Garage Journal forums for more opinions.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

I'd ask, do you not have the ceiling height for a 'regular' lift? A quick
look at the link you provided indicates the posts still need to be bolted
down. They make it look like it takes 0.8 seconds to remove those bolts to
then allow you to move the post. I suspect it won't be quite as quick &
easy... Also, check the concrete flooring requirements for any 2 post
lift.
A standard residential garage floor may not meet these requirements.

IMO, if you want a 2 post lift and have the ceiling height, a regular lift
will not cost more & might be more useful. It won't be 'mobile' but if
that
is your main criteria then consider a scissor lift. The problem with
scissor
lifts is they drastically restrict access to the underside of the vehicle.

I bought a 4 post lift. I use it for both storage (parking one car above
the
other) and for working on/under a car. A 2 post lift is ideal for working
on
a car but not for storage.

Eric Russell