[Shop-talk] tuning/refurb'ing gas power washer?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] tuning/refurb'ing gas power washer?
From: Obaa <obaa996@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 12:54:35 -0700 (PDT)
I recently "inherited" a gas power washer last night. My FIL bought it many
years ago and kept it in his shed.  He tried to start it this past weekend
with
no luck, gave up, and bought a new one.  So now I have this one...
It is
a "Generac" brand washer, with a Briggs&Stratton engine and some unknown
pump
(it looked like there was a label on it, but I didn't take a closer look).
My first thought is to pull the carb and degunk it (I'm sure it's nasty in
there).  I'm sure I'll want a new plug/filter/oil, etc.; is there somewhere
that
lists various tune-up information for the B&S engines?  I thought I'd be
able to
find it with a quick search, but the engine model information listed
on the
sticker doesn't turn up any hits.
Also, is there any maintenance
required for power washer pumps?  It looks like
there is some sort of
lubricant that can be changed, but no indicator of oil
type or volume.  It
looks like a lot of used power washers are listed on CL with
some sort of
pump issue, so I figure I should give it a once-over just in case.
I was told
by my FIL that the detergent siphon wasn't working, so I don't know
if that
is indicative of anything.  Thanks for any hints/tips....

Thanks,
Mike

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums