Re: [Shop-talk] Natural Gas vs Propane Grills

To: <jibjib@att.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Natural Gas vs Propane Grills
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 15:06:44 -0500
> > his pipe is undersized.  20 feet of 1/2" pipe has a capacity of about 45
> cubic feet, 45,000 btu/hr, but he doesn't have that, he's got a 1/4" pipe.
> I don't have a chart for the capacity of 1/4 pipe, but I'm sure it's not
> 45Kbtu/hr.
>
> Agreed.  The < inch pipe is likely the issue.  It is a very small pipe with
> not much pressure behind it.   I didn't have that info when I responded, as
> I posted before the first send and receive of the AM.

Thanks guys.  That makes a lot of sense.  Just to be sure we are all on the
same page, I want to be sure you noticed that only the last 2 feet of the line
is 1/4 inch.  The other 16 or so feet is 1/2 inch.  Does the last two feet
limit all that came before it?  If so, that would certainly be an easy fix.

As for the merits of wood/charcoal vs gas of any kind, I agree completely.
Nothing beats the taste of a real BBQ.  However, the convenience of gas is
hard to beat, especially when you are only cooking for one or two.  It is
awfully nice to just fire it up and grill a hot dog or a brat within minutes.
In the end for me, laziness beats out taste, or at least it will if I can get
the gas fire hot enough to properly grill!

Jim

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums