[Shop-talk] 130v/260v?

Subject: [Shop-talk] 130v/260v?
From: hillman at planet-torque.com (David Hillman)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 20:34:32 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, David Hillman wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Ronald.Griffing at comcast.net wrote:
>> If your meter is measuring peak to peak, that's about right.  The given
>> voltage is in Root Mean Square, or RMS which will be lower than the
>> peak-to-peak.
>
>   Outstanding point.  I just borrowed a Fluke from the guy who sits next me
> ( very convenient ) and will check the voltage again tonight.

    Just re-measured with the Fluke and one cheap meter side-by-each.

    129v peak measured 125v RMS on the Fluke.  264v peak was 249 RMS ( 6%
error ).  Still high, but not enough to cause any problems, I don't think.
I didn't think the difference would be that large.  File under, "cheap
tools" and "you pay for what you get".

    Thanks.

--
  David Hillman