[Shop-talk] 220V extension cord with breaker

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] 220V extension cord with breaker
From: "Gil Fuqua" <Gil.Fuqua@cci-ir.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 16:02:55 -0500
I recently purchased a 220v band saw for my shop that has a 30 amp plug.
My shop has plenty of 220v outlets, but they are all wired to 50 amp
plugs and protected by 50 amp breakers.  The 50 amp circuits were set up
for a welder.

I don't want to add new 30 amp plugs and breakers all over the shop.  I
would prefer to have something that would plug into the existing 50 amp
sockets and terminate in a 30 amp receptacle for the saw.  I also want
to have a 30 amp breaker in the line that protects the saw.  In other
words, a 30 amp plug and circuit breaker down line from the 50 amp plug
and breaker.

What's the best way to do this while protecting the saw with a 30 amp
breaker in the line?

Gil
Nashville

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums