Re: [Shop-talk] Dish Network vs Direct TV

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dish Network vs Direct TV
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:48:49 -0400
We have DirecTV now.  We had Dish.  Between the two we had Comcast.

Comcast was easily the worst in terms of signal delivery--constant
pixellation, dropped signal, etc.  For all the crap cable companies spew
in commercials, they couldn't keep a signal to my house over a coax
cable to save their lives.

We live in the middle of a pine forest.  There are 100-plus-foot tall
trees, too deep to see through past twenty feet in, and they surround
the house, getting to about 15 feet from the house.  Satellite signal
has not been a problem.  Dish dropped for about five minutes during a
hurricane (really), and DirecTV has pixellated a few times.  My
experience with regard to signal reception has been almost ideal for
satellites.  According to what I've heard, the key is to get the dish
aimed correctly the first time.  I guess ours have been.

Having said all that, I detest DirecTV and will drop them as soon as the
contract is up.  The technical service is fine, but their business model
turns my stomach.  The first 100-plus channels are PPV.  Shopping
channels are placed in the channel line-up so that there's about one
ever few channels--so much the better to get you to buybuybuy.  There
are approximately eleventybillion infomercial channels.  To get to the
channels you actually want to see feels like sifting through a gigantic
cesspool.  I feel like I'm paying them to bombard me with more of their
attempts to generate yet more revenue off me.  And then the adult PPV
channels have extremely explicit movie names displayed in the channel
guide.  I have a kid.  Not cool.

So, I'll be going back to Dish ASAP.  I might even cancel my DirecTV
contract early.

Scott

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums