[Shop-talk] Cleaning up spilled mineral oil on carpet

Subject: [Shop-talk] Cleaning up spilled mineral oil on carpet
From: dmscheidt at gmail.com (David Scheidt)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 23:04:46 -0500
On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 7:42 PM,  <eric at megageek.com> wrote:
> A trick I use when 'staging' a home for an open house if there are odors,
> is to fill a bowl with white vinegar and place it in the room with the
> smell. B In a few minutes, the smell is gone.

I've cleaned oil out of lots of car carpets.  You'll get nowhere
useful with kitty litter, coffee, vinegar, baking soda, or the like.
You need to remove all of the oil from the carpet.  Carpets in modern
cars are made polypropylene and nylon or polyester, which are all
highly attractive to oil.  Removing oil with solvents (if you can get
them out of the car, detergent and water will work.) is the only way
to get substantial amounts out.