[Shop-talk] Electrolytic Rust Removal on a large part

Subject: [Shop-talk] Electrolytic Rust Removal on a large part
From: jandkstone99 at msn.com (Jim Stone)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 11:40:30 -0600
I have a spare trunk lid that I would like to use on a restoration project.
The original lid has a fair amount of damage to it and it seems like it would
be easier all around to just replace it. However, like the rest of the car,
the original is completely rust free. The other lid is in very good shape and
definitely usable (I dont remember where I picked it up, but think it has
been in storage for a long time), but it does have some of the usual rust that
I can see around the lower edge in the inside. Plus, there is lots of rust
dust that comes loose when I tip it on its side, so I know it is forming
within the inner frame where I cant see it.

Id love to just take it to a stripper and have it dipped, but there are none
around here. On the other hand, it wouldnt be too difficult to find some sort
of large trough (maybe even a kiddie swimming pool) that I could convert into
an electrolytic rust removal tank big enough to handle the lid. I am in no
hurry and it could cook in there for weeks if necessary. Ive had great
success with this method for small parts. Is this a dumb idea? Is it feasible
for something this large? Would my 30 year old battery charger (2/10/50 amp
circuits) be enough for the job?

Any thoughts and recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim